Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Letter from the editor: A fictional Potter Box piece in regards to the film "Shattered Glass"


Staff and Writers,

As the editor, I've come across the resume of Stephen Glass. After the truth came out about Glass at The National Republic, it is very difficult to decide whether or not to hire him. The facts remain that he completely or partially fabricated data on almost half of his articles while working at the magazine. What is particularly troubling is that he fabricated his work under two separate editors, so would I be just another? Even worse, he lied about lying, and created new fabrications in order to try and cover his tracks. But that was years ago…

Even if nearly half of his articles were tampered with, the majority was legitimate. As an editor, I value quality writing, but above all I need trust and truth. For me, the two are interchangeable, if you tell me the truth, you've earned my trust. And if I trust you, I’ll believe that what you have to say is the truth. But like me, his previous editors believed Glass, and it tanked their magazine. Glass is full of talent, and with most writers, he can only get better with the wisdom he’s picked up through the years. So whether or not he would fabricate stories again is questionable.

I need to look at the principles if I want to get down to the bottom of this. If I use Aristotle’s Golden mean, I would place one extreme as shredding his resume, putting it in an envelope, and sending it back to him. The other would be turning a blind eye to the facts and hire him on the spot. As a middle-ground, I could maybe see myself hiring him, but with an intern or photographer on his tail at every event. If I use Kant’s Categorical Imperative, it gets trickier. If I were in his shoes, I’d want a universal law of having the opportunity to prove myself to the world that it was the mistake of a scared kid; I’d want a second shot. But fabricating a quote is different than over 20 articles… If I use Mill’s Principle of Utility, What would make the most people happy? I’d love to have an excellent writer on my staff, he’d love to have the job, but would my readers want to see a piece from a man who wrote lies, lies read and believed even on the inflight magazine of Air Force One?

It was always evident that Glass was an excellent writer, but as a journalist, his first loyalty should have been to the truth, but he chose entertainment and the advancement of his career first. As an editor, my loyalty is first and foremost to the truth, then to my staff and writers. If I can’t trust that my writers are giving me the truth in their stories, I can’t be loyal to them. And in this business, my ass is on the line even more so than the writer’s. As terrible as it was that Glass’ career was ruined, it’s been ages since I’ve even heard the phrase “The National Republic;” an entire magazine essentially reduced to rubble because of one man, the man who now wants to work under me at my magazine.

It’s a shame he wasted all of that talent. He went all in, had the winning hand, but pulled an ace from out of his sleeve anyway and got caught. The facts are too strong, his loyalties too wrong, and regretfully, I’ll have to turn down Glass as a writer for our magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment